Nintendo Switch Buttons won’t Work: The Nintendo Switch is a highly responsive gaming console. But, sometimes, its buttons won’t work. In some cases, only some buttons are unresponsive.
In other cases, all buttons stop working. Keys can initiate reactions incorrectly. However, you should not throw away the console.
Instead, fix it by following this quick guide. I will tell you some tricks. If you apply them correctly, your switch buttons will start working again.
Nintendo Switch Buttons won’t Work Professional Solutions 2023
I recommend this basic check
Sometimes, the buttons won’t work with a certain game or application. The input test is OK. In this case, you need to check the following points;
- Test the controller with another compatible game or application. Check whether the key responds.
- You can test the controller by syncing it with a different console.
- Maintain a minimum distance (3-4 feet) between the controller and your Nintendo Switch.
- Do not place the controller behind the TV.
- Also, reduce wireless interference. Ensure that no metal objects or wireless devices such as speakers, phones, etc. are placed near the console.
Are your controllers paired correctly?
One reason is that your controller is not properly paired with the console. So, you need to check it by the following method:
- Open the Home menu on your console. Press any button on the Pro Controller.
- One or more player LEDs should be blinking on the controller. Then, they should keep burning. This ensures that the controller is properly synced with the switch.
- The controller LEDs can blink in a sequence for a moment. Then, they will stop. This indicates that the controller needs to be paired again.
Check button input
A simple test can diagnose the problem. You should check the button input on the switch.
Please note that the “Home, Capture, Sync, Volume and Power” keys are not included in the test Here’s how to do it;
- Make sure the controller or Joy-Cons are synced to the Switch.
- Open the Home menu and select “System Settings”. Select “Controllers and Sensors” from the left side menu.
- Navigate further to select “Test Input Device”. Next, select “Test Controller Button”.
- Press the control stick or button that you need to test.
- The console screen will show the icon for the button you pressed.
- Likewise, you can test each responsive key.
- End test mode by pressing any button and exit.
Restart your switch
A quick restart removal is very useful Software bugs. Here’s how you restart your Nintendo Switch;
- Press and hold the “Power” button for 3 seconds.
- Release the button when the “Power Options” screen appears.
- Select “Restart” and wait.
Another way is to force restart your console.
- Close your console completely.
- Press and hold the power switch for 20 seconds.
- Then, press the power switch once to turn it on.
Charge the Pro Controller
Your Nintendo controller may not have enough power. That’s why it’s unresponsive. First, make sure the controller and console are properly synced.
If no player lights the controller, it is out of power. Therefore, you need to charge it fully.
It takes about 6 hours to fully charge. The LED indicator near the charging hole turns off when fully charged. It can be charged indirectly by connecting to the dock.
The dock is then plugged into a power source via an adapter. You can charge the controller directly by plugging the AC adapter into a wall power outlet.
Another reason is that the buttons are sticky or jammed. So they don’t respond when pressed. This is caused by the build-up of dust or debris.
Something may be stuck around the button area. Handling the controller with dirty hands also gets sticky. Press the button and observe whether they push down normally or not.
How do you clean sticky buttons?
If only a few keys fail to work, they are jammed. The solution is to clear the sticky button. Remove debris, grease, or dirt.
- Turn your switch completely off. Also, disconnect it from the power and dock.
- Take a soft and dry toothbrush. Gently, rub the brush around the key. Then, wipe with a clean cloth.
- Blow through your mouth to remove loose dirt.
- Please do not use any liquid for cleaning.
Incorrect button mapping
Some buttons are not working due to wrong mapping. Your console mapping has been changed. It can be recognized by the spanner or wrench icon.
You’ll see a spanner icon next to the controller you’re using. This icon appears in the bottom left corner of the screen throughout the various menus.
How do reset button mapping?
Resetting the mapping will restore the factory settings on the device. So, the keys will start working. Here’s how to reset the mapping;
- On your Nintendo Switch, select “System Settings” from the Home menu.
- Next, select “Controllers and Sensors”.
- Navigate through the options and select “Change Button Mapping”.
- Select the controller from the list displayed on the left side of the screen.
- Next, click on the “Reset” button and confirm the action.
- Another way is to set your switch to sleep mode. Wake it up after a few seconds to get reset options
- See the official procedure here.
Update the firmware
The inconvenience is caused by an old firmware version. The problem is software related. Because there is an error in the console.
So, you should check and install the latest firmware version. Here’s how to do it;
- On your console, go to the Home menu.
- Select “System Settings” and navigate further.
- Next, select “System” and then “System Update”.
- Start the update process by following the on-screen prompts.
- Let the process complete and check the keys later.
Does the problem still exist?
Hopefully, the techniques I suggested fixed your console. The problem may reoccur after some time. This can happen due to the reasons mentioned above.
In such a situation, you must Consult Nintendo. Explain your problem and ask for customer support. The company will repair or replace the device.
Nintendo Switch FAQ
Here are some frequently asked questions by console users They will help you too.
Could the Nintendo Switch buttons be out?
Buttons are often used. Thus, they are vulnerable to wear and tear. Over time, they can jam, quarrel, and stop working. Control keys are on both the left and right sides of the console.
Can I play on my Switch while charging?
No problem running your Switch while charging it. You can dock it or play it in handheld mode. The manufacturer confirms that the game with charging is OK for all Nintendo models.
Can the Nintendo Switch be used without a docking station?
Yes, it can be used without a docking station. You can connect it directly to a TV or monitor. However, a USB-C cable is required. Choose the cable that supports the display. Because not all USB-C cords can support a display.
The final word
I have explained all the official methods to troubleshoot the device. I have shared my personally tried solution. Hopefully, your Nintendo Switch buttons are back to working now. Feel free to ask us if you have any further questions.